Part of Wakatū Group, Kono is a vertically integrated, whānau-owned Māori food and beverage producer with a clear mission to deliver value, by nurturing our people and environment to create beautiful products from Aotearoa that the world wants.
Based in Whakatū (Nelson), we operate extensive land and sea operations, from farming and harvesting to processing, sales and marketing. With a strong sustainability and whenua ora focus, we are artisan producers and exporters of wine, cider, craft beer, seafood, pip fruit, hops and natural fruit bars, with a global consumer focus, particularly in Asia.
With 400 employed across multiple sites, offices in Nelson, Marlborough, Wellington and Shanghai, we are a global business underpinned by our core values of manaakitanga, our commitment to the care of people and relationships, and Kaitiakitanga – love for the land and respect for the sea.
We are looking for an innovative, values-led person to join and lead our dedicated sales and marketing team based in Nelson.
About the role
The General Manager (GM) of Sales and Marketing leads the sales and marketing team and functions for the food and beverage businesses across Kono. The role is critical in terms of driving sales and marketing performance across the Group, as well as driving key strategies such as our Whenua Ora programme of work.
Key responsibilities include:
- building a business where profitability is a key driver of growth
- developing long and short-term strategies in line with Te Pae Tawhiti that will deliver business growth expectations
- developing long and short-term strategies to embed our Whenua Ora programme of work, which is focused on the Whenua Ora market and customer
- managing and building customer relationships, market intelligence and consumer research, market analysis and planning
- managing creative agencies, public relations and communications, and distribution logistics with sales
- leadership and development of the sales and marketing team members to build depth and capability in the team and ensure strong alignment between sales and marketing performance
- key account management, as well as managing the Yellow Brick Road Seafood business and China office.
Based in Nelson, the GM Sales and Marketing will report to the Chief Operating Officer (COO).
The GM Sales and Marketing is an innovative role that is critical to the performance and development of Kono. Specific accountabilities include leadership around strategy, people, performance and profitability, marketing and sales excellence and strategy, business and financial management, governance and reporting.
The ability to inspire and motivate a diverse range of people to reach high levels of performance and connect them to the purpose of the organisation is critical to achievement in this role. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate a proven track record in driving marketing and sales excellence at an executive level, be enterprising, display creativity and agility in navigating today’s market and connecting with consumer values.
The alignment of Kono and Wakatū deeply held values is equally important as this underpins everything we do. The successful candidate will have a strong values base, a high degree of integrity, leadership ability and a willingness to support and develop others, as well as cultural competency and an understanding and appreciation of te ao Māori.
The successful candidate will be someone who is skilled at managing the complexity and challenges inherent in primary industries, including balancing environmental, cultural and commercial imperatives and values.
This is a truly unique opportunity to play a key role in leading a business that has a clear intergenerational vision to deliver value, by nurturing our people and environment to create beautiful products from Aotearoa that the world wants.
Mēnā i a koe te hiahia, tonoa mai koa. Heoi anō, noho ora mai i runga i te pai