Te Waka is the economic development agency for the greater Waikato region. Reaching from Taupō in the south, to Coromandel in the east and Pōkeno in the north and with Hamilton at its heart anchoring the golden triangle of Auckland and Tauranga. Home to half a million people and contributing ~10% of New Zealand’s GDP, the region is growing rapidly and is seen as a major engine room of recovery for the NZ economy.
Founded in 2018, Te Waka is a small, business led and independently governed organisation. With a focus on impact vs. activity, our high-level objectives are to:
- Lift economic performance across the Waikato region.
- Attract, retain and grow investment, talent and business across the region.
- Champion economic growth and advocate for business needs and opportunities.
Te Waka is now moving into the next phase of its development, has a clear strategic plan and confirmed funding partners in place. With two of our founding Directors stepping down at the end of their appointment terms, we are now seeking two additional independent directors keen to contribute to the region’s growth.
- Have a genuine passion for and understanding of the Waikato region, our industries, businesses and communities;
- Be proven commercial leaders with credibility across key sectors, have strong governance skills and the ability to distil regional complexity into a focused agenda;
- Have the ability to proactively build and maintain strong relationships, influence, inspire and engage with a complex group of stakeholders across business, local and central Government and Iwi / Māori.
There are typically 10 meetings per annum. Meetings are normally half or full days for Board matters and will include attendance of sub-committee meetings, functions and special project meetings, if and when they arise.
Terms are for three years. There is an annual fee for this Independent Director appointment.
To apply, email your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com. Applications close Saturday 24 July 2021.