- Strategy Leadership Role
- Advance Thriving Whānau
- Inclusive and Welcoming Team
Te Whiwhinga Mahi | The opportunity
We are looking to recruit an experienced and exceptional Director for this new role that will lead strategy design for Te Puni Kōkiri and key functions for the Strategy, Finance and Performance puni. You are ambitious with a reputation for operating autonomously, considering the wider strategic value of processes and work programmes, and providing value-add insights as you lead teams to achieve success. Reporting to a Deputy Secretary, you will be a member of the Puni leadership team and you will have broad responsibility for:
- Providing significant thought leadership and high-level technical expertise in terms of programme management, analytical techniques and strategy design and development to ensure the Ministry achieves its vision of thriving whānau. A particular emphasis will be on economic development strategies and interventions.
- The stewardship and articulation of Te Puni Kōkiri’s strategy and performance against that strategy.
- The Ministry’s Budget process shared with the Chief Financial Officer.
- Te Puni Kōkiri’s accountability, planning and performance functions.
- Developing and maintaining senior level strategic relationships with Māori and senior colleagues across the wider public sector and regions.
- Providing leadership and support to represent the Deputy Secretary in a range of fora as appropriate.
Ko wai koe | About you
As the successful candidate you will have:
- demonstrated leadership of functions, particularly strategy or wider policy functions
- a good understanding and the ability to show thought leadership and expertise in contemporary programme management and analytical tools and techniques
- economics and finance capability is also highly valued with a particular focus on economic development
- a relational driven approach, with proven ability to build strong relationships that support a consultative approach
- experience briefing Ministers on complex operational and relationship issues, and the ability to gain and maintain the trust of Ministers
- proven experience leading agency strategies and an excellent understanding of the machinery of government
Most importantly you will demonstrate excellent judgement and direction in an environment that is often ambiguous and complex.
Ngā uara ka whiwhi koe ki Te Puni Kōkiri | Working at Te Puni Kōkiri
Te Puni Kōkiri is the Principal Policy Advisor to the Government on Māori wellbeing and development, and we have an important contribution to make to impact Māori wellbeing outcomes. To do this, we must exert leadership and influence on the public sector system to enable and support the Government to deliver positive wellbeing outcomes for Māori.
Our commitment to ‘Whānau Taurikura’ – ‘Thriving Whānau’ enables whānau, hapū and iwi to succeed and underpins everything that we do.
Our people are at the heart of achieving this vision and it is our people who contribute to supporting Māori collective success by creating and maintaining relationships with iwi, hapū and whānau Māori, and Government at both a local and national level.
We are guided by our values of excellence, valuing people and relationships, working collectively and being creative and innovative. We invest in our people and you will be encouraged to develop and contribute to your fullest potential. We believe strongly in work/life balance and understand that your whānau is important. We are also committed to your wellbeing, and ongoing learning and development. In-house Te Reo Māori training is available to our employees as well as the opportunity to join Te Puni Kōkiri Kapa Haka group.
For an initial information pack and to arrange a discussion please contact Raewyn Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are actively reviewing talent and an appointment will be made once a suitable candidate is identified. We encourage you to make your application today or get in touch to discuss more about how this great opportunity will fit with your career goals
To apply please send your cover letter and CV to email@example.com. Applications close Monday 7 February.